Re: Lead fumes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] ['s WWWBoard ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by shahid irfan on January 08, 2003 at 13:25:37:

In Reply to: Re: Lead fumes posted by Gary Dodge on February 16, 2002 at 12:09:35:

rked me for about 30 years (using the fume trap now, but just a fan in the past) with no ill effects.

: Gary Dodge

: : : I have a question about lead fumes. All the safety information I find regarding use of lead in stained glass talks about not eating, drinking, or smoking while handling lead, and being sure to wash hands after using lead. I find no mention about the fumes.
: : ------------------------------

: : Lauri, you don't see anything about Lead Fumes because Lead does not vaporize at soldering temperatures...actually not for many times that.
: : Thr FUMES you encounter are from FLUX, not lead. They're very hazardous and need to be vented. I doubt your Inland fume trap does anything much unless it's vented to the outside.

: : Lead poisoning comes from eating, smoking or drinking after handling solder and lead came. There are NO lead fumes produced in stained glass work. Now, you CAN produce lead DUST if you steel wool, use a mechanical brush or dremel on lead. Always wash your hands and work surfaces carefully...discarding the wiping material. Use a mask if you're going to abrade Lead. Protect clothing in this case with an apron or cover that you remove as you leave the working area and wash immediately afterwards. If you don't have Lead entering your mouth or being breathed in as dust, you're safe.

: : Now, FLUX is the big problem. NEVER use a flux that fumes visibly. There are good gel and liquid types which work better and fume less. There are others like the cheap 'Ruby Flux' which will erode your sinuses and cause breathing problems. I tried that one when I was very new and didn't know you weren't supposed to have congestion and bleeding sinuses after a soldering session (so much for the power of a fume trap). Tough way to learn, but at least I had the common sense to look for a better way.

: : One of the glass pros who posts on the forums and is well regarded...Dennis Brady...always answers this question by saying YES....lead can do a lot of damage....if you drop the spool of solder on your foot. Ouch! Aside from chewing on solder that's the most dangerous thing you can do. Sounds like Dennis is speaking from experience. :)

i have a question if some body can reply me.

I own a factory where lead has to b heated up for a particular purpose .I know it resulted in dangerous fumes in shape of exhaust.
Can sb tell what kind of fumes r generated when lead is heated up.One of the fume could b lead acetyte.
Is it true. Is there any methods available to combat this problem.Hellp me out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] ['s WWWBoard ] [ FAQ ]